Sunday, October 26, 2008

Giggles while waiting...

So while we are waiting for the baby to make it's grand entrance Preston and I are getting everything around the house ready to go. I am proud to say we have the room all ready! I wanted to get it painted but that's probably not going to happen for a while and I'm not too concerned at the moment. I have other things on my mind like "Was that a contraction???" I know I'll know the real thing when it hits but there is such a thing as a painless contraction in early labor.

The crib is all set to go and fully functional, the baby clothes, blankets and sheets are washed, folded and put away, and the diapers are organized by size. My mom got us our super cute crib and also made the crib quilt and the valence for the window. She also got us a swing, a play pen, 2 car seats, a cute little red recliner (that the baby won't even be able to use for a year or two), a walker, a simple fold up stroller (that we can't use till it's sitting up on it's own), and a bunch girl clothes. Yes, we can safely say Grandma Gaye is excited for her first grand baby (which she's positive is a girl)! She's even planning on making the clothes for the baby blessing already! She made my temple dress when we got sealed when I was 3. It was so beautiful! I can't wait to see what she makes for my baby!
Our first "baby" has been getting a lot of extra attention. I know we should be tapering off some of that attention to prevent "sibling rivalry" as the puppy books put it. But he's just so gosh darn cute! I think he knows something big is about to happen. Mostly cause the room that always stayed shut suddenly has a lot of traffic and new stuff to sniff. We've been introducing him to baby smells like diapers, baby powder, baby laundry detergent, baby shampoo and baby lotion.

Our rule with him is he's only allowed in the baby's room when we are in there. It's mostly to keep the stuffed animals and other toys that don't belong to him intact. Every time we open the door he comes running to sniff it out some more. His curiosity is definitely peaked. He's really wondering what the heck is going on by now.
On Saturday I was having mild but regular contrations. Painless ones that felt like a lot of pressure on my lower abdomen. We decided that we should try to help it along. We figured walking around was our best bet. The mall felt a little over zealous because neither of us had a lot of energy to begin with so we went over to Bed Bath and Beyond to browse. I was glad Preston had vetoed the mall by the time we left cause my feet were killing me! The contractions got very regular (10-20 minutes apart) but they stopped when we got home. They were going again at church today just as regular but once again stopped when we got home. Stupid false labor! Preston thinks it'll happen wtihin October and I'm hoping he's right.
While we were walking around Bed Bath and Beyond we saw some stuff that sent us (or at least me) into fits of giggles. First of which was this contraption thing...
Seriously??? At least use a girl for the model! He looks a little iffy, if you catch my drift.
These things put tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard... I was standing in front of them and Preston pointed them out to me. He said "Wouldn't it suck if you forgot to lift the lid? Owch!" Yeah, I was doubled over laughing...



3 Two Cents':

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

Amy, you crack me up! I love reading your blog! i hope your baby comes early too, no pregnant lady deserves to go over her due date- been there, done that and its no fun! The real contractions though start at the top of your tummy and tighten (like rock hard abs on top of your tummy), mine were completely painless and lasted for days until about 20 min before Ethan was born when my water broke. Then it hurt...real bad...best of luck to ya! :)

Meredith said...

That head contraption thing really does feel good, but yeah, they should have used a girl. That guy is totally creepy. I really really hope that the baby comes soon! I cannot wait to meet the little one!!!

~Meredith

Anonymous said...

The room is cute1

I am holding a nursery pictures contest on my site until Jan 2009. Come over and enter!

Enter here

You can win a $75 gift certificate from PinkTaffyDesigns if you win and your baby's room will be featured on my home page.

Chloe getting bigger by the month...